This post originally appeared on Robin Wilson Home.
Who knew that baking soda had so many uses? From cleaning to caring for your hair and skin, baking soda can be a great way to replace harsh cleaning chemicals as well as over-fragranced personal care products. (Added bonus: It is often one of the least expensive items in the grocery store!)
Here are great ways to change your lifestyle by using baking soda in a healthy way for your everyday cleaning and for non-toxic activities in your home:
- Stop the itch. For insect bites, make a paste out of baking soda and water, and apply to ease the itch.
- Freshen your hair. Sprinkle a small amount of baking soda into your palm along with your favorite shampoo. Shampoo as usual and rinse thoroughly—baking soda helps remove the residue that styling products leave behind.
- Get sandal-ready feet. Dissolve 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a tub of warm water and soak feet. Gently scrub.
- Remove crayon marks. Apply baking soda to a damp sponge and rub lightly. Wipe off with a clean, dry cloth.
- Deodorize your trash can. Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of your trash can to keep stinky trash smells at bay.