In a weekly Zoom hangout series called Moms’ Night In, experts answer your questions about navigating life during a global pandemic. Here’s a recap of our latest one:
Coronavirus and sheltering in place is bringing up BIG feelings for everyone, especially kids. They’re going to school from a laptop, they don’t know when they’ll see their teachers and friends again, graduations and milestone moments are delayed or canceled… How can you help your kids process this world-changing event that is having very real (and unfair) effects on their day-to-day life?
Therapists and children’s mental health experts Brandy Wells and Malia L. Segal answered your questions around how you can best help your kids during the pandemic.
Brandy and Malia explain:
- why it’s important to understand your triggers as well as your children’s when dealing with tantrums;
- how to help your kids articulate what they’re feeling;
- how to manage challenging behaviors while sheltering in place;
- how to model the skills that you want your kids to follow;
- how to make crisis schooling manageable for you and your kids;
- how to parent effectively when you have more than one child, and children of different ages;
- how to deal with behavioral regressions;
- and more!
Watch below and sign up for an upcoming Moms’ Night In event here!
(Note: There are moments where the video freezes—press your arrow keys to fast forward a few seconds to when the video picks back up)
Resources Mentioned In This Video
Mother.ly article “The Best Way to Prevent Tantrums Is to Be Kind” and the follow-up “9 Phrases That Help Prevent Tantrums”
Todd Parr’s The Feelings Book
Emotional Check In and Check Out
When Your Kids’ Tantrums Trigger You (VIDEO)
“What Our Locked-Down Kids Are Going To Miss Out On”
Free journal printouts for girls 8-12 years old
Daniel J. Segel’s The Whole Brain Child
Joanna Faber’s How To Talk So Little Kids Will Listen
Dr. Shefali Tsabary’s The Conscious Parent
Carolyn Webster-Stratton’s The Incredible Years
Ross W. Greene’s Raising Human Beings
Mark Wolynn’s It Didn’t Start with You