A growing metropolis, Minneapolis is a diverse city that is welcoming to local businesses, a vibrant creative class and, most importantly for musician and mater mea mom Sarah White, a growing family of four. In fact, it may just be the best kept secret of the Midwest. Despite its legendary cold, Minneapolis is attractive for its small-town-meets-big-city feel, not unlike its neighbor Chicago.
“I love how Minneapolis peeps can manage to hide away all winter and come out of the woodwork ready to play the moment the snow begins to melt. It’s really a sight to see!” White says. It was easy for her to offer up her favorite spots in the city she calls home!
1. “My favorite for dates nights [is] Bar La Grassa! We love the atmosphere and the location, the food always tastes amazing, and the service is great. We go there almost every time we get a chance! I love the blue marlin crudo and the mushroom and taleggio agnolotti.”
Bar La Grassa
800 N Washington Avenue
2. “[A] great family spot we love is Namaste Cafe, [which] is inspired by South-Asian cuisine. I love the chana masala and garlic paratha, and the kids gulp down the dal soup. It’s a very regular place for us to get yummy take-out from on those crazy busy nights around the house!”
2512 Hennepin Avenue South
3. “Now that I am in school full-time, I have kinda rekindled a coffee habit that I let go of a decade ago to help me keep up with the demands of motherhood, school, music, and life. My all-time favorite these days is Spyhouse Coffee. Everything always tastes so fresh and I love the decor—[it] reminds me of Brooklyn. The downside is that it seems many agree, because there is never anywhere to sit! I love the mata hari with almond milk, espresso, cinnamon, and honey!”
2451 Nicollet Avenue
4. “If I’m not eating and I’m out, I’m most likely dancing or checking out music! [The] best venue for big live shows is First Avenue! I want to love other venues, but the sound and stage [here] are just perfect! Don’t expect anything fancy there—just get a beer and enjoy the show!
701 N 1st Avenue
5. “Minneapolis could definitely use some more great boutiques, [but] I love Cliché. Even though it isn’t always affordable with my mommy budget, I can find some great edgy pieces and even some locally made swag. June and B. are going to be my go-to’s for consignment staples.”
2403 Lyndale Avenue South
3406 Lyndale Avenue South
2613 Nicollet Avenue
6. “[A] favorite spots to go with the kids is the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. It’s free and always great for a cloudy day!”
Minneapolis Institute of Arts
2400 3rd Avenue South
7. “The lakes [are] one of the greatest features of this ‘city of lakes’! Such peaceful and beautiful scenery and a great place to just let go and slow down. All of the lakes have great parks, room to soak in sun, and some even have food and live music!”
To learn more about Sarah White, read our feature on her motherhood and career journey.